Friday, May 10, 2013

Sleeping

Dark.
The merciful, quiet dark of sleep.
Sweet, sweet sleep.

I hear some low shuffling
From the distant mountains.
It can't be the kids getting up,
Because I can tell from the quality of the light
Filtering through the one eye lid that is now half open,
It is clearly too early for that.

I sigh
Like the air is being wrung from me,
As I do the back to sleep
Turn-shuffle-squirm and
Pull the covers back up where they belong.

Now, where did you go
Sleep, my dear?
Oh, there.

Suddenly my hand is yanked
From its home - resting under its friend, pillow,
To a newer, more awkward position
Stretched straight out to my side,
Pinning me to the bed.

               Bandits!

Ninjas!                  Invaders!

             Huns!

here daddy you can have this monkey for you sleep
if you squeeze it tummy, it goes
OOH! OOH! AAH! AAH!

So begins another day.


No comments:

Post a Comment