Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Locked Out

I am following my girls
Into the backyard after having spent
At least fifteen minutes
Corralling them toward the stroller
For a quick walk to the neighborhood store
Via a detour through the park for some time on the swings.

In that time they have prepared for the
Five minute trip
Like it is an antarctic expedition.
Water bottles - filled
Rations (cereal) - packed
Gear (sunglasses) - outfitted.

Wooooooooooomp
Slam!

As I pull the back door closed behind me
T  i  m  e   e  x  p  a  n  d  s
Then
Stops.

I still have my hand on the knob of the shut door
As I hear in my head,
The door is locked
Your keys are inside.

My heart skips.
As it begins to speed up, then race
So does time.
But now faster than normal,
Moving so fast I can only see single images.

Flash!
I see the girls in the stroller getting antsy
Flash!
I see the closed door
Flash!
I see my keys in my bag.

Take that brain!

I pop back into the house through the back door
(without needing to unlock it),
To grab my sunglasses,
And we are on our way.

No comments:

Post a Comment