Tuesday, May 6, 2014

On Gender Differences in Little Leauge

In the course of an early spring baseball game,
Nature called.

In the well appointed (for a baseball diamond) restroom,
I found the ubiquitous
Forced Air Hand Dryer
That has been found in similar little boys rooms since the sixties.

These hand dryers all come with
Explicit instructions
That begin:

1. PUSH BUTTON

This restroom dryer was like every other hand dryer I have encountered
In every other Little Boys Room since the beginning of my memory.
Similar in that
In a fit of hilarious vandalism,
The crucial letters "O" and "N" were vigorously scratched off
And the detailed instructions now began:

1. PUSH BUTT

I must admit,
When I saw this
I laughed a little Buttheadian chuckle.

Huh.Huh.Huh.

(It gets me every time.)

When I asked the assembled baseball moms if their
Forced Air Hand Dryer
Was similarly, classically maimed,
They claimed ignorance.
They had never seen such things.
And isn't that kind of childish?

Little Mars.
Little Venus.
It must start early.


No comments:

Post a Comment